About Me

My photo
Sydney Cake Artist : Dawn Hough ... always learning, always making mistakes, always finding better ways, always happy to share the journey ! Not claiming my way is the "right way" or "best way", but "one way" and certainly hope you find it helpful. Thank you for joining me.

Friday 1 July 2011

Working with Isomalt : Chanel No. 5 Bottle

Spending the day experimenting with isomalt crystals today.  I'm making a 30th cake for a friend who requested a Chanel No. 5 bottle and rather than do the glass lid out of fondant, thought I would try the "glass look" with an isomalt lid.

Well managed to make the mold, although not very good I must say ... using food-safe clay was probably not the best choice for the piece itself and $100 of mold making material later, I'm reluctant to give it a second shot.  Next time I'll use fondant with some tylose.

The isomalt isn't working quite how I'd like - a little too cloudy and after several hours of internet searching, not sure I have the solution.  The second batch is on the stove as we speak, slowly boiling away until it reaches the required temperature.

The Chanel No. 5 bottle I've decided will be oversized and upright ...  will definitely require a centre pole and perhaps a midway board to keep it steady and for ease of cutting .... an interesting project with lots of room for error :)  .... stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment